92nd Meeting of Hamilton Conference
The 92nd Annual Meeting of Hamilton Conference was held at the UNIFOR Family Education Centre, 115 Shipley Avenue, Port Elgin, Ontario, from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017. President Gord Dunbar’s, theme was “Holy Shift!” The Celebration of Ministries Service took place on Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 2:30 p.m. at Port Elgin United Church.
- Worshipped under the leadership of the worship team and President Gord Dunbar, focusing on his theme “Holy Shift!”
- Covenanted with President Heather Leffler.
- Acclaimed Deborah Laforet as President-Elect of Hamilton Conference, to serve in the year 2018 – 2019.
- New Ministries Celebrated: Ordained: Deborah Ambridge Fisher (Halton); Roni Beharry (Halton); Jenn Hind (Waterloo); Katherine Selby Knoke (Halton). Admitted: Timothy Kennedy (Hamilton); Martha Lockwood (Niagara)
- Received offerings of $5666.71 for the Mission and Service Fund of the United Church of Canada.
- Approved the proposed 2018 budget and set the maximum assessment at $651,375.70.
- Celebrated the presence of 10 Youth Forum participants and their 5 leaders.
- Received the Settlement Committee report and the Nominations report and approved the Nominations proposal.
- Appreciated the work of Pat Gilmour, Ann Fleming, and Jennifer Bawden in the bookroom.
- Visited 5 displays sponsored by Conference committees, networks and other groups.
- Marked the retirement of ministry personnel: Gary Boratto, Doug Brown, Linda Clark, Gail Clarkson, Paul Currie, Brian Elder, Ross Hibbard, John James, John Lawson, Alan Maclean, Fred Monteith, Brenda Otawa, Ralph R.J. Schmidt, Neville Smith, Bruce Sweet, Kathy Toivanen, Judy Zarubick, and Roz VincentHaven
- Celebrated the 25 years of ministry since commissioning or ordination of: James Allsop, Judith Astley, Paul Fayter, William Klassen, James McKnight, Helen Prior, Ian Sloan,
Bill Wheeler; 50 years of Ministry of: John Anderson, Ronald Hunt, Stephen Mabee, Harry Manning, Stephen Shantz, and Arthur Tobey; and celebrated the 60 years of Ministry of: James K. Campbell, and the 65 years of Ministry of: Francis Chisholm.
- Remembered those ministry personnel in Hamilton Conference who passed away since the last annual meeting: Rev. Dr. Ron Smeaton, Rev. Glen Strome, Rev. Enid Horning, Rev. Leslie Edmonds, Rev. Clare Alexander Geddes, Rev. Donald Alan Deas, Rev. James Charles Weller, Rev. W. Allison Haynes, Rev. Peggy Campbell-Geddes, Rev. Jay Story, Rev. Jean Crabtree, Rev. Dr. L. Eveleigh Smith, Rev. Dr. Maxwell Jewitt Parr, Rev. Harvey Murphy, Rev. Terry Dunseith, Rev. Cheryl Fitch, Rev. Ted (Edward) Kersey, and Rev. Herbert C. Breithaupt.
- Remembered those churches that have closed or amalgamated: Erie Presbytery: Heritage with Sydenham, Balfour; Halton Presbytery: Nelson with Tansley; Hamilton Presbytery: Barton Stone with Mount Hope, Olivet.
- Elected 25 Commissioners to the General Council 43.